Agriculture Research Institute (ARI) Dera Ismail Khan
Agricultural Research Institute, Dera Ismail Khan, (established in 1958) has gained recognition in putting up the quality research in various disciplines of agriculture. The institute has the credit in developing high yielding crop varieties and modern production technologies to raise crops in cost effective way. In addition to field crop research activities, sound efforts have also been vested in areas like Post Harvest Technologies (processing and value addition of fruits and vegetables). While doing this, the scientists do not forget to consider the concepts of WTO and other quality parameters. For the first time in research system, this institute has started certified vegetable seed production. The scientists in different sections at the institute are working profoundly for sustaining the livelihood of the farming community through research and development.
The Agriculture Research Institute, Dera Ismail Khan is a unit of a series of research institutes/stations in the province. Scientists herein are putting their untiring efforts to improve agriculture productivity. The technologies developed are transferred to allied departments for further dissemination to the end-users. Not only this, Scientists do take their developed technology to the doorstep of farmers through various modern extension means. Scientists at the institute share their basic and applied knowledge with academic institutions in the vicinity and national level as well.
- Introduction, selection and evaluation of cereal, oilseed, fruit and vegetable varieties with high yield potential, drought and pest resistance and suitable to the agro-climatic conditions of the area.
- Development of production technology to get maximum and economical yield of field and horticultural crops.
- Plant food nutrients recommendations and determinations of soil and water status.
- Development of IPM (Integrated Pest Management) for different crops and fruits.
- Quality seed production of improved varieties.
- Dissemination of the production technology to end users.
- Evaluation of high yielding varieties and scientifically improved production technology to enhance the socio economic conditions and living standards of the farming community and ensuring food security.Activities in Gomal Zam command area:
- Introduction of cotton, sunflower and maize as Kharif crops.
- Conservation and production of rich indigenous germplasm of local fruits and vegetables e.g. Musk melon, Onion, Ber etc.
- Introduction of high value fruits viz. date palm, citrus in the area.
- Dissemination of off-season vegetable production technologies.
- Transfer of technology to local growers for increasing per unit area income through improved production as well as water conservation techniques.
- Developed (13) varieties in cereal crops for irrigated as well as non-irrigated areas of D.I.Khan.
- Developed Water resource conservation technology in Rice field.
- Two promising lines of Wheat are submitted for varietal registration in 2016 for approval, while another strain DN-102 is in pipeline and will be submitted next year for approval.
- One of our leading variety Hashim-08 is meeting the Food Security challenges, a burning issue of these days.
- Only Hashim variety of this Institute gave benefit of Approx. 5 Crore rupees to the growers of district D. I. Khan.
- Providing 100 tons (approx.) Pre- Basic (60-70 tons) & Basic seed (30-40 tons) of wheat annually to ADF for farmers.
- Conducted important research trials on post-harvest losses and prepared various value added products of different fruits.
- Developed off-season vegetable production technology in high and low plastic tunnels.
- Published numerous research articles, bulletins, pamphlets, reports etc. in Urdu and English for the benefit of farmers, Academic community, Researchers, Teachers and general public.
- This institute raised 60,000 Citrus plants during this year 2016 under the proposal of Prime minister Citrus Development Board, which will be sold out to the growers and will fetch income of worth amount Rs.=2100000.
- This Institute is opting to cultivate 16 acres of Rice and 10 acres of Maize for Seed purpose in the running Kharif season this year.
DOWNLOAD PROFILE FOR FURTHER DETAILS